Friday, August 1, 2008

My first post! - OR - CII post dates are fun

Hello, blogging world! I am a CPhT that has been working in retail pharmacy for about 5 years, most of which in the same chain. As you can tell by the title of my blog, the description, and the general layout of my composition, I has the (adult) ADHD. (I was diagnosed waaaaay after childhood.) One might think having an ADHD tech is BAD for a pharmacy. If all your techs are ADHD, then I would say yes, that would be a negative. But I try to use the positive aspects of my, uh "condition" to function in a chaotic, high stress, understaffed environment. The ability to bounce all over the place to three different windows, talk on the phone to an insurance rep while counting/labeling/typing/contemplating suicide at the same time is a gift, not a detriment.

But to get to my point, and my first real post.

I take a popular Schedule II medication for my ADHD. It is very helpful. (Especially at the start of a new semester). However, if I ever run out before my next fill (which has happened I think once in like 2 years cause I don't take it every day anyway) I do not show up demanding that a pharmacy fill my post-dated script even after it has been patiently explained about 47 times that it would be illegal to fill and I need a new one. Example:

(For a 6-year-old kid, of course)

ADHD: "Sorry, its dated for 3 days from now, we can fill it then."

Mom: "But school starts TOMORROW! He needs it for school and focus blah blah
blah...." (Ironically, I had gotten bored listening to her)

ADHD: "Look, its illegal to fill. We can't do it. You can get a new script dated for today and then we can fill it, no problem."

Mom: "Blah blah blah stuff stuff....but he'll tear up the classroom without this!"

What? WHAT?! are you fucking serious? Your kid will...WHAT?

ADHD : "I'm sorry, what was that?"

Mom: "He tears up the classroom and gets into fights without his supermegahighadderitaoclin!"

ADHD: (Seriously, I am not sarcastic when I say this, though it sounds like it here) "WOW, you really need to get that new script then!"

Well, she eventually left, in a huff naturally, claiming the World of Wally would fill it for her.

She came back the next day with a new script.


A few things:

1. The kid has been getting this type of drug for about a year now. Mom knows better.
2. WHY IN GOD'S NAME IS YOUR CHILD 'TEARING UP THE CLASSROOM' WITHOUT HIS MEDICATION? My ass got beat if I ever tried that shit, ADHD or no.
3. Go ahead and let your child miss school for 2 days if you can't get that new script. Probably better for the other kids, anyway.
4. I'd be taking my child's meds for fun too if I had to deal with that over the summer.
5. Actually, I'm pretty certain you are, considering that it's been early consistently (and not like by 1 day, either)

Geez.

No comments: